Blueprint: One


View Blueprint: One in a larger map

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Patrick - Virginia Highlands

Virginia Highlands is a nice neighborhood to the east of campus, east down 10th street, past Piedmont Park. It is within walking distance, but it would be a longer walk than a normal stroll outside. I have visited this neighborhood a number of times so far this semester by running through it during practice. It is not really a completely traditional neighborhood but it is definately not sprawl. Piedmont Park is within walking distance of "V-High" and so are a number of smaller parks, schools and churches. The roads are small and there are good sidewalks to run on. There is also a corner that has small stores/restaurants, like those found in a traditional neighborhood.

I would say "V-High" is not a traditional neighborhood because there is a CVS and I'm sure more convience stores that are in the neighborhood. Downtown Atlanta is also within walking distance, eventhough it would be a long walk.

There are different types of housing: single family homes, apartments and condos. This shows the different sizes of incomes the residents of the neighborhood recieve.

My criteria for an ideal neighborhood before I visited was to have a mixture of basically everything. I wanted it to have traditional and sprawl aspects. Virginia Highlands actually fits very well into my criteria.

No comments:

Post a Comment