I will be evaluating a suburban neighborhood called Braxton Square. It's located in Tucker, which is about 30 minutes driving time away from Atlanta.
I thought the neighborhood would be just like any other typical suburban neighborhood--one that is characterized by sprawl like the ones in Suburban Nation. But I was greeted by a pleasant surprise at Braxton Square.
First of all, my criteria are based on 6 categories--individuality, walkability, public spaces, integration with nature, peace & safety, and people.
The most interesting thing I observed in this neighborhood was that it transitions from the entrance to the ends. The front of the neighborhood (near the entrance), being the older part built first (probably a while ago), has townhouses with back alleys. I remember reading about residential back alleys in Suburban Nation, but never gave it much thought--thinking it was an old, outdated practice that I would probably never get to experience. But I saw them!
The back alleys serve primarily as parking space for the residents of the townhouses. Therefore, the townhouses do not have front driveways taking up half the front lawn. Residents drive into a shared, collective parking space in the back of the townhouses. Some of the townhouses feature personal garages and back porches, while others only have back parking lots, but having a back alley for vehicles is a simple yet surprisingly efficient way to utilize property space.
Past the townhouses, the neighborhood transitions into a more modern style. The townhouses cut off straight into single-family homes with driveways--much like sprawl. The houses are small and some have only one car driveways/garages. All homes within the neighborhood look pretty much the same. There is little variety among the single-family homes--just simple variation in colors (brick/plaster color). The townhouses are completely monotonous.
The only thing that really sticks out about Braxton Square is the presence of the townhouses with the back parking alleys. I have never seen another neighborhood with this particular arrangement before. Otherwise, there are no artificial or natural landmarks that give the neighborhood a distinct personality. The only landmark in the neighborhood that stands out is a collection of five tall bushes that resembles 5 fingers. Other than that, there are an adequate supply of trees and shade--not too barren but not that shady either. The neighborhood is surrounded by a forest near the ends however, while the entrance is on a major highway.
Because Braxton Square is located right on a major highway, there is no walkability outside of the neighborhood. Inside, there are surprisingly no sidewalks for pedestrian activity. This combination of factors greatly discourages pedestrian life. Added to the mix are few streetlights, no nearby destinations within walking distance, and no neighborhood community center. Houses near the entrance may experience some noise pollution with the cars on the highway whizzing by. Otherwise, privacy and peace is generally undisturbed throughout the majority of the neighborhood.
Although Braxton Square may not be the safest haven to live in, I did notice a lot of patriotism. Almost every home had an American flag hung on the door in addition to wreaths! These items symbolize homeliness and warmth in almost every home. Also, the flags may imply that many of the citizens are retired citizens who have been living in America for a while, so as to have developed patriotism. I also noticed a couple of basketball goals, which implies the presence of at least some children or youth in the neighborhood--not many though. There was also a father and son washing the family car--which was a reassuring sight to see.
Braxton Square may not have satisfied positively on all my criteria, I do not feel a need to revise my criteria. Braxton Square is a peaceful neighborhood that seems to be filled with good people. There isn't much pedestrian or public life available, but the townhouses and the back alleys really add value to the neighborhood. You just don't see those kinds of things being made anymore.
No comments:
Post a Comment